Skip to main content

Double Standards!!!

Don't you just hate them?  Like, people say one thing, either about themselves or a certain situation but it's the total opposite for them, like it's not ok for you but it's all good for them. 
 
The term double standard, coined in 1912, refers to any set of principles containing different provisions for one group of people than for another, typically without a good reason for having said difference.  A double standard may take the form of an instance in which certain concepts (often, for example, a word, phrase, social norm, or rule) are perceived as acceptable to be applied by one group of people, but are considered unacceptable or taboo when applied by another group.
I've recently been in a situation where a double standard was applied.  I didn't even realise it at first and the truth is we are all faced with double standards every day in our lives.  For example, people will say you look fine at a size 18, these times they're size 8 and are trying to be a size 6.  Or someone will tell you something is not cool but it's ok for them to be doing much much worse or even the same.  Surely what's good for the goose is good for the gander (so to speak).  Don't get me wrong, I'm probably guilty of using double standards myself but it's when that double standard is so unbelievably blatant, that it becomes so unbelieavably wrong.

Comments

  1. Your post made me think about the double standards in the media as well. We’re always told ‘love your body’ and ‘be happy with who you are’ but then the same media outlets are bullying celebrities about their fashion choices and the way they look. Everybody is going on about Jessica Simpson’s extra pounds or Zac Efron’s beard – SO WHAT. They’re living in civilised countries where apparently they have the right to express themselves and they should be able to do that without answering to other people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Ree. You're absolutely right. Double standards exist right across the media. They have a lot to answer for. No wonder we have so many disturbed people in our society and not just "ordinary people", celebs too. Some would say that's the industry they've chosen to be in, they should deal with it but I really don't think the way the media treats some celebs is very fair at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To be fair I dont think celebrities are truly prepared for how much scrutiny they will get in the public eye and if everyday people are guilty of double standards then they sure will get targetted for this too. This month heat magazine said ' Size 14 is the new fashion ' talking about how great it is to see women with curves. Prior to that and possibly in issues to come , they constantly point out 'flabbly' pictures of celebrities. Think about how many times we've been in a conversation and we or the other participant has said 'Yea! That's fine for you to do. But not for me' Human error I guess and the media just capatalise on this

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dining Table Heaven!!

My absolute favourite piece of furniture at the moment is my custom made dining table. I’ve talked about getting a dining table for about three years and last year I finally got this beauty. Massive thank you to Blacker and Oak who custom made this for me. Check them out on Instagram (link below) and Etsy (search Blacker and Oak).  Instagram:  https://www.instagram.com/blackerandoak

Yes I keep up with the Kardashians and no I’m not ashamed!!

I’m going to make a bold statement! Are you ready...? I love Keeping up with the Kardashians!!!   Honestly I do and I’ve found over the years that many people share my healthy obsession with the family but like me, they kind of keep it under wraps. I’ve also found that people who don’t like the Kardashians, think it’s okay to belittle those of us who do but I’m sorry that’s just not kool (see what I did there 😉).  Why do you love the Kardashians I hear you cry. Well personally I work in a very tense environment and to be honest, before I started my current job 6 years ago, I had never even watched the Kardashians. One of my peers was totally in to Kim K and the rest of the family and because of her, I thought I’d have a little watch and you know what....I’ve never looked back.  If you’re highly stressed about something or work in an intense environment like myself, sometimes you just need a break and that break can take many forms. Reading, meditating, writing, working out, watching t

Rated R (for Random)

I looked up on the tube this morning and all of a sudden panic struck.  OMG I forgot to put on my eyeliner!!!  It's so weird I use to be scared to wear the stuff in case I stabbed myself in the eye with it (I have a fear of eyes - don't ask lol) and now I can't live without it!!!  I suppose this has highlighted one of my insecurities. I can't go out without my eyeliner.  It's an extension of me but it shouldn't be.  I should be able to wander the streets of London completely fresh faced.  Maybe one day, when I'm 80 :-) x